Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 19, 2010: Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins

The first time I made these muffins, they came out great- crispy tops, moist centers, just gorgeous. The second time I made them, I forgot the butter, and they came out sticky- not bad, but obviously not as good as the buttery ones! The third time- sticky again, and I know I had the ingredients right. Or at least I'm pretty sure I had them right. Sometimes baking and taking care of a 5 month old cannot be done at the same time.

I got this book for my birthday- and it's really a winner. Look for more recipes from BAKED coming up soon.

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
from BAKED by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito

  • 1.5 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (3 or 4)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup whole milk (I used 1%)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp instant espresso powder
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350
Spray a 12-cup muffin pan or line it with paper cups

In a medium bowl, mix the bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg.
In another bowl, whisk together flour, instant espresso, baking soda, and salt.

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes in the center of the oven until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool the muffin tin on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove muffins and let them cool on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment